If 2015 was the year of the accessory ear cuff, and 2016 the choker, then 2017 must officially belong to the chandelier. Earring, that is.
Fashion-savvy models and stars like Romee Strijd, Gigi Hadid, Kylie Jenner and Hailey Baldwin have cast off the skinny metal and wrapped leather chokers that inundated social media feeds. Now the hottest jewellery look to wear with daytime denim are metallic statement earrings.
Credit: Getty Images
Better still, they’re accessories that have the added benefit of looking as at home on a red carpet as they do in a festival field – just ask the legions of supermodels, like Strijd, and Australian social media star Lily May Mac, who donned them at Coachella. There was no shortage of statement earrings on the 2017 Met Gala red carpet either. (FTR, Blake Lively‘s were our fave.)
While there’s nothing new about statement long earrings – shoulder dusters had a strong presence on designer runways like Gucci, Celine and Dolce & Gabbana as far back as the Spring/Summer 2016 shows in September 2015 – what makes them different right now is the chandelier (layered) shape and golden metallic hue.
Credit: Instagram @lilymaymac
Alberta Ferretti AW17
THE RULES Here’s he what, wear and how on the hottest jewellery trend right now.
1. THINK YELLOW GOLD, gold and more gold. Rose or pink gold is pretty (and still a huge trend in terms of handbag hardward, shoes and sunglasses) but jewellery’s biggest metal tone right now is of the yellow variety. Unlike silver or rose gold, it suits almost all skin tones, especially lightly tanned, dark or Asian skin. Even the very fair-skinned can wear it, although the lower karat variets (like 9kt) are better. (For more details on matching metals to your skin tone, read here.)
2. LENGTH IS EVERYTHING The ideal is one inch above the shoulders to balance out the triangle shape and extra width of this style. Longer shoulder-dusters look better as long, thin drops. Any shorter and you loose the impact.
3. DON’T CARE HAIR Up-dos are the obvious option and ideal for elegant soirees, but there’s messy ‘undone, done’ hair and beach waves teamed with long chandelier earrings sends a far more cool ‘good-girl-turned-bad’ vibe. Better still, French braid over one ear and leave the other tumbling loose. Of course, if you’ve got a fabulous Kate Peck crop, the decision is easy.
4. naked neck Remember that beauty rule we all learned as teens: smokey eye, skip the lip… bold lip, neatral eye? Same goes here in a jewellery sense. Unless you’re Chiara Ferragni, it’s almost impossible to make layered necklaces plus statement earrings not look like your a little girl who’s been playing in grandmother’s jewellery box. You want one or the other. In this case, we recommend you go for the earring. If you can’t resist neck bling, make it navel long. Choker? Negative.
5. makeup moment It makes sense that drawing attention to your face means a few extra minutes on your makeup will be worth your while. If your earrings contain coloured stones, bear this in mind for lipstick and eye shade selections.
6. don’t be shy If statement ears for day feels odd, ease in gently with something simple (plain gold, no stones or crystals) teamed with a neutral roll-neck or tee, denim and a heeled boot. The more you wear them, the more you’ll get used to the look and feeling. In fact, you’ll eventually feel positively naked without something heavy and dazzling brushing your neck.
Credit: Instagram @piamuehlenbeck
SHOP 10 of the best GOLD CHANDELIER EARRINGS
Kenneth Jay Lane, Crystal and Faux Pearl clip earrings, $266. SHOP NOW
Oscar De La Renta, Ornate Charm Chandelier C earrings, $515. SHOP NOW
Nicole Fendel, Alyissa Beaded Earrings in Gold with Soft Rose Stone, $149. SHOP NOW
Tory Burch, Gold Fish Statement Clip-on Earrings, $395 at Shopbop. SHOP NOW
Colette by Collete Hayman, Statement Cluster Drop Earring, $15. SHOP NOW
Christie Nicolaides, Iris Earrings Gold and Turquoise, $249. SHOP NOW
Kookai, Lily Earrings in Deep Red, $40. SHOP NOW
Samantha Wills, Nightfall lustre long drop earrings in gold, $229. SHOP NOW
Sheike, Tokyo Earrings, $50. SHOP NOW
Swarovski, Gypsy Pierced Earrings, $249. SHOP NOW