Typically in Australia, the summer months are welcomed with open arms. We trade layers for linen, sweaters for seashells, and red wine for rosé. But of course, with high humidity comes high stakes skin concerns. Oil flow increases, acne can rear its ugly head, UV rays get even more aggressive, and dehydration worsens. For most, our winter skincare arsenal will start to feel too much in terms of texture, so a lighter approach is favourable. Skin expert Jocelyn Petroni knows the summer skincare conundrum all too well, so she kindly lent us her expertise when it comes to ace product recommendations and tips to keep you cool, calm, and clear. Take notes below.
GRAZIA: What typically happens to the skin in the summer months?
Jocelyn Petroni: In summer, the skin and the body become more dehydrated as the body temperature rises and the metabolic processes increase. This means your skin is metabolising faster and it needs ample water to function at its best. We sweat more in the summer months too, so we need to replenish this water loss consistently.
GRAZIA: So what changes should we be making in terms of our routine?
JP: I would recommend the below:
- Oils are great for plumping. The skin becomes dehydrated because water content evaporates. Oil retains water, so applying one everyday preserves the water in the skin.
- Amp up your water intake by eating hydrating foods like cucumber, zucchini, and watermelon. Also, drink more herbal teas.
- Omnilux is great as it will deeply hydrate the skin and it penetrates much deeper than what your everyday products can.
- Hyaluronic acid is an excellent superficial hydrator – it holds 1000 times its molecular weight in water on the surface of the skin. Results are instant.
- Incorporating additional active ingredients like vitamin c will increase the skin’s moisture content, producing more oil to lock in the water.
- A mist can work wonders on the skin in summer (and always) for a light hydration throughout the day. It can also moisten your makeup if you’re getting lines throughout the day, making your skin appear more dewy.
- Use hydrating masks. At night, the skin’s main function is to repair, so this is the perfect time to apply active products, hydrating treatments and heavier serums. In summer, I love to apply a mask before bed. I love La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask and the Ultraceuticals Ultra Energising Mask.
GRAzia: What advice do you have for those who experience increased shine?
JP: Cleanse regularly and alternate between a foaming cleanser and light milky cleanser morning and night. The foaming cleanser is great when your skin is feeling oilier than usual, whereas the milky cleanser will be more hydrating. Keep both in the shower. Ylang ylang essential oil is also great for balancing an oily skin. I swear by Sodashi’s Balancing Serum. It contains ylang ylang, hazelnut oil, and lavender which is great for reducing inflammation and has antibacterial properties.
GRAZIA: And what about dealing with congestion?
JP: Look for ingredients such as salicylic acid, mandelic acid, and oil-soluble fruit acids that penetrate into the pore and help to break down sebum. Try a serum with one or more of the above, as well as professional treatments. At Jocelyn Petroni, we perform a treatment called the Skin Regenerating Mandelic Peel to reduce acne and congestion. It’s designed to immediately eliminate dead skin cells and unblock pores. Derived from bitter almonds and containing high levels of alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), mandelic acid helps to activate the skin’s natural regeneration cycle.
GRAZIA: What are your top light, non-greasy sunscreen recommendations?
JP: Ultraceuticals Sunactive SPF 50+ Face Cream.
And what about moisturisers that don’t feel heavy?
Shop Petroni’s recommendations here:
La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask, $525. SHOP NOW
Sodashi Balancing Serum, $125. SHOP NOW
Ultraceuticals Sunactive SPF 50+ Face Cream, $49. SHOP NOW
La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Cream Sheer, $1080. SHOP NOW
Ultraceuticals Ultra Energising Mask, $74. SHOP NOW
Ultraceuticals Ultra UV Protective Daily Moisturiser SPF 30, $79. SHOP NOW