In part two of our exclusive New York hair series, we get high – but not too high – with Elle Ferguson and Justine Marjan.
Taking inspiration from the High Line – the historic, elevated rail line turned public park in Manhattan’s Meatpacking district – Marjan shows us how to get the ultimate high pony.
The High Line
In summer, the heat of the concrete jungle can be oppressive. So when a night calls for a cocktail amongst the clouds (or skyscrapers), hair must also whether the heat. A high pony is the ultimate hairstyle to remedy the humidity of a New York summer; pulled back, eternally sexy, raked with fingers to ensure a measured mess and a lot of tousle. Inspired by the West Village’s iconic High Line, a high ‘90s-esque pony is a modern take on an up ‘do. Cool-girl tuffs are must – think the millennial model rat pack’s obsession with the ‘90s – and let your flyways free.
The Look: High ponytail with cool-girl tendrils
Best For: Rooftop margaritas in short dresses and high heels
Stylish Stop: The Standard
Use: TRESemmé Instant Refresh Dry Shampoo for equal parts grit and glamour
get the look with justine marjan
1. start with pre-curled hair
2. then gather hair half-up from the top of the ear to the round of the head and secure with elastic
3. add the bottom section to the top ponytail and secure this with another elastic, over the first elastic
4. twist the hair and wrap it around the base to conceal the elastic, and pin the ends with a french or bobby pin
5. then directly spray the hair surrounding the elastic with tresemmé salon finish extra hold hair spray
6. lift up the ponytail and back brush for volume
7. spritz tresemmé instant refresh dry shampoo through the ponytail to add grit and texture
shop the look
Tresemmé Instant refresh dry shampoo, $10. shop now